Tuesday, May 5, 2009

What does the future hold?

Seeing as this is my last week at the Greater Phoenix CVB and that I am graduating this month, I need to figure out what my next step is because I am an international student and so am only eligible to stay in the U.S. until the end of August and then I will need to leave the country! The only way I will be able to legally stay in the U.S. is to apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT).

OPT is a benefit from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, allowing international students in F-1 status to gain off-campus work experience in their field of study before or after completion of studies for a maximum of 12 months. What this allows me to do is find a job or an internship in the tourism industry and stay in Arizona for another 12 months. I have already taken steps to apply so I’m just hoping that my application gets approved! If you would like to know more information about this benefit, click on this link:
http://www.asu.edu/international/opt.html

Truly, what I would like to do is continue to work at the CVB or a similar type organization because I believe that it is a great place to network and kick-start a successful career in the tourism and travel industry. Other than that I would not overrule a chance to go to grad school at ASU but as of right now, I have had a taste of the working world and that has made me eager to get started in the industry, start making some money, and more importantly, be more involved in our community and contribute to its booming development.

Congrats ASU Grad Class of 2009!

No comments:

Post a Comment